We unplugged our TV a couple of years ago. I wish I could say it was because of some mighty and noble reason, but really I just hated the cable company (Comcast is evil). Since then I’ve been happier without the TV, but I have moments like today when I really want to turn something on just to watch. I need some justification.
So – here goes – why it’s best to go without a TV – one item at a time.
1) Pro Wrestling – Go watch this at a bar. First, your watching it with a crowd cheering things on – much more fun. Second, the types of bars that put wrestling on the screen have the most interesting types of people in them. (The first goes for most other sports, the second may just be wrestling.)
2) The Daily Show and Colbert Report are on line anyway, at any time I want to see them, with fewer commercials.
3) News – I really don’t miss CNN or Fox. I especially don’t miss the coverage of Tom Cruise, Lady Gaga, and whatever woman just killed her baby. Checking the news online lets me avoid those.
4) Soaps aren’t even on anymore.
5) Reality TV – none of us really ever needed to watch that in the first place. The only ones I miss are Deadliest Catch and Dirty Jobs with Mike Rowe – and I can get those at the library.
6) MTV and VH-1 don’t play music videos anymore, you can only get those online unless they are top-10 pop videos.
Places to go for TV:
1) Sports – bars
2) News – Dairy Queen, Super Gyros or any restaurant of that caliber. It’s likely Fox or Headline News covering how a dingo ate someone’s baby.
3) HGTV– my doctor’s office. They’ll never notice if someone is hanging out for an extra hour to learn about drywall.
4) Big events – Oscars, Superbowl – Someone is going to have a party and if not, cook food and take it over to a friends house, announcing that they are having the party.
5) Cat-sit (or dog-sit) for friends – they have TV.
Things I still miss:
Univision’s Sabado Gigante (sigh)